Today we extracted the DNA from a strawberry! Really we did! You need to finish the conclusion questions tonight (QUESTIONS ARE BELOW THE SLIDE SHOW!). Tomorrow we review ALL the functions of cell organelles! REGISTRATION HANDBOOK LINK RIGHT HERE!
DNA Extraction Analysis and Conclusion
Answer each question in complete sentences.
1. Each step in the procedure helped in isolating the DNA from other cellular materials. Explain
each step of the procedure and the function of that step:
A. Initial smashing and grinding of strawberry
B. Mush strawberry with salty/soapy solution
C. Filter strawberry slurry through coffee filter
D. Addition of ethanol to filtered extract
2. In order to study our genes, scientists must first extract the DNA from human tissue. Would you
expect the method of DNA extraction to be the same for Human DNA? Explain why or why not?
3. Would the DNA be the same in every cell in the human body? Explain why or why not.
4. List two reasons why a scientist might want to study the DNA of strawberries.
5. We know that scientific investigation is a wheel that rolls on and on as we ask new questions.
List TWO new questions generated from doing this DNA extraction lab activity.
Most science pictures I post are found from assorted Facebook science pages... too numerous to cite specifically and downloaded for "just the right time"... sorry for the poor citation example I am setting...
Trouble viewing attachments?